Sunday, December 16, 2012

Kiwi-Apple Jam

So, on a wet Sunday afternoon, with thawing snow, close to Christmas, what to do?
Watch TV all day or play on the computer? Read a book, or get some writing or other creative art work done?
Yes, creative art work, why not. I went to the dinning room to set up my art stuff again after a pause. And saw that the kiwis, those that never really turned ripe after buying them, were shriveling a bit instead of going softer to eat. And I still had a lots of apples left over too. What to do with them?
Instead of painting today, I made something else creative instead. I made a jam from the kiwis and apples.
Wikipedia explains jam as this:
Jam typically contains both the juice and flesh of a fruit or vegetable,[12] although some cookbooks define it as a cooked and jelled puree.[13]
In the US, the term "jam" refers to a product made of whole fruit cut into pieces or crushed then heated with water and sugar to activate its pectin before being put into containers:
"Jams are usually made from pulp and juice of one fruit, rather than a combination of several fruits. Berries and other small fruits are most frequently used, though larger fruits such as apricots, peaches, or plums cut into small pieces or crushed are also used for jams. Good jam has a soft even consistency without distinct pieces of fruit, a bright color, a good fruit flavor and a semi-jellied texture that is easy to spread but has no free liquid." – Berolzheimer R (ed) et al. (1959)[notes 1]
Although "it usually consists only of one fruit, a mixtures is seen very often in the stores here. I don't like their high sugar content though. So making my own jam, with a mixture of sugar and pectin (OK, store bought) in a 3:1 relationship (three times fruit to one times sugar). And I can add spices (or extra lemon juice) to my taste.

I simply pealed the apples, took out the core and cut them into smaller bits. Then pealed the kiwis too (hardly any juice came from them - they still didn't seem to be ripe and rather sour) and cut them into pieces too.

After this I pureed them and added a bit of ginger powder and lots of cinnamon powder, mixing it before adding the sugar-pectin mix.


Before I started cooking this, I rinsed out the small glasses with twist off lids with boiling hot water and let them dry on a towel.


Bring the mixture to cook with lots of stirring until it bubbles and boil for another 4 minutes (!!) only. Then fill the glasses to the brim, put on the lid, and place them on a towel upside down to cool off. This will make the twist off lids to vacuum seal the glasses.



I had a bit more than needed and poured that into a bowl for use right away.


This tastes yummy. Nham nham!!


And it can even become Christmas presents. =))


5 comments:

  1. I never realized you could get another 'seal' out of the pop top style screw on lids. Did all of your jars get a good seal? With the center completely depressed? If so, I might just need to start saving all of my jam jars from Trader Joe's! The girls would have a blast making their own batch of jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi Ann
      I have done this with the same lids several times and they sealed well every time (middle fully down and they plop on opening).

      And they are not all jam glasses - some are from vegetables too. But don't take sour ones - the lid keeps that taste.

      Delete
    2. So, no pickle or salsa jars for making jam, ehh? ;-)

      I'm still really excited about this - can't wait to have enough jars to make a batch with the girls!

      Delete